18 March 2012

Tried and True Recipe: Chocolate Wacky Cake

I think this could be my second favorite cake recipe. Number one probably has to go to Betty Crocker’s from scratch Pineapple Upside-Down Cake.

This chocolate cake is called wacky because it uses vinegar! Blech, you think? Think again! It’s delicious. It uses the reaction between baking soda and vinegar (think elementary school volcano experiments) to raise the cake. And it's an amazingly moist cake, which is difficult to produce from scratch in the desert! Glory to The Wycliffe Cookbook for this one. Lucky for me, I got this cookbook before they started charging 84 bucks (Whaaaat?!). Think of all the money I’m saving you by posting this recipe here. You can thank me later, after you make this and love it!

Mix Together:
1 2/3 c flour
1/3 cup cocoa
1 t baking soda
½ t salt
1 cup sugar


Then mix together separately and add to previous mixture:
1 cup water
5 T oil
1 t vanilla
1 T vinegar

Bake:
350 for 30 mins (in 9 by 9 pan)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I love this! I am always looking for vegan recipes because they are so good for the kids (and, also because I want Trevi to be able to eat the batter without worrying about salmonella poisoning!). I can't wait to try it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete